11 October, 2008

Mahathir Vs Zaid Ibrahim

Former de facto Law Minister Datuk Zaid Ibrahim says Datuk Seri Najib Razak’s impending rise to become Umno president and Prime Minister marks the return of “Mahathirism”.

Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, he said, will become Malaysia’s “de facto PM”, standing behind Najib.

He said the fall of Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi is a result of Dr Mahathir prevailing.

Meanwhile, Abdullah Ahmad Badawi says he did not regret his decision to expedite the handing over of the reins of power to his successor, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

"The decision did not trouble me. A decision had to be made and I had considered it very well. I felt good about it and that was why I could be cheerful," he said.

"I thank God for making it easy for me to decide. I think what I'm doing is in the best interest of the country and the party," said Abdullah.

Having made the decision, it would "allow us to focus on the job at hand", he said in reference to the over-politicking that had taken place since the March 8 general election and the need to focus on fulfilling the aspirations of the people.

"I fully intend to utilise the months ahead to implement my agenda. Leaving the limelight and giving up power is not my main concern," he said.

Former de facto Law Minister Datuk Zaid Ibrahim claimed Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak will not be able to institute any crucial reform as Prime Minister as long as Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad is around.

“Najib is smart and articulate but to change the course of Umno, he has to be brave and why would he take such a risk.

“Second, even if he wanted to, he would not be able to do it with Dr Mahathir around,” he said.

“He (Dr Mahathir) has a large group of friends, otherwise the Prime Minister (Abdullah) would not have been ‘thrown out’ just like he wanted.”

Mahathirism was all control, control, control. He has a strong influence on the top Umno leaders who had to choose between doing his bidding or facing his wrath.

“So many in Umno are bound to the old, making it difficult to abandon old values and principles.

“Especially when if you allow for more democracy, you lose some control.

“I don’t see it (major reforms) happening but I hope that Najib will prove me wrong, for himself and for the country’s sake.”


Read also:"ZAID IBRAHIM THE DE FACTO MINISTER OF JUSTICE " from Dr Mahathir.

Excerpt:

The moment Zaid was appointed he went to town. Apparently without bothering to consult the Cabinet or the Prime Minister he publicly proposed so-called legal and judicial reforms. He proposed that judges should be appointed by a panel on which sit several members of the Bar Council. He did not think it odd that members of the bar would in the course of their work be facing the judges they appointed. I suppose he thinks that it will be alright because gratefulness is not a Malaysian value.

Zaid also resurrected the case of Tun Salleh Abbas. The Government then decided to award ex-gratia payments to the "unfortunate" judges although all the judges were being paid two pensions and one at least was being paid three pensions. They were obviously not starving.

True to the Government record of being open and transparent the amount paid is not revealed. I wonder whether the money came from Zaid's pocket or from the taxes paid by the rakyat.

People accuse me of making wrong choices but in the case of Zaid it looks like the current PM has inherited my weakness.( Well said, Dr M)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home