19 February, 2008

Chamber of incommunicado ?

I like Po Kuan. She is charming, friendly and passionate. I also believe she is sincere. Yes, I am big on sincerity.

Just before parliament ended its sitting last year, I met her at the lobby. She was upbeat and talked about celebrating the end of term before rolling up her sleeves for constituency work. It sure didn’t look like she was going to resign.

Then I read that news article in Malaysiakini about Po Kuan being forced out of her Batu Gajah parliamentary seat.

- Jed Yoong


There are four days left to Nomination Day on Sunday. It is most unfortunate that in the past few days, particularly in the past 72 hours, the DAP had shifted from pace-and-agenda setting for the 12th general election, which is the “Battle of the Century”, to one of complete disarray because of party problems particularly over Fong Po Kuan’s shock announcement that she will not contest in Batu Gajah parliamentary seat and other general election and candidature questions.

DAP leaders have been trying to reach Po Kuan since Sunday but have not been successful as she is incommunicado. From the public responses to her and my blogs, she should know that she is held in very high regard as the voice of the oppressed and beacon of hope of the marginalized.

- Lim Kit Siang

Commentary: Shameless Political Partisanship of Media - The Fong Coverage by CIJ

Sound familiar?






Press Conference Statement by Fong Po Kuan on 17 February 2008 in Batu Gajah:

I am calling this press conference today to announce my decision that I am not offering myself as a candidate for any seat in this 12th general election. My decision is final. Yesterday morning, I had verbally conveyed this decision to Sdr Lim Kit Siang, a member of the DAP National Committee on Candidate Selection, when he had asked me about my decision due to Press speculations. I had told Sdr Lim Kit Siang that I would furnish my reason for my decision to the Party Secretary General in writing.

Last night, Sdr Lim Guan Eng had telephoned to inform me that I would be nominated to stand as a candidate in the Batu Gajah parliamentary constituency. I have this morning e-mailed to him my decision in writing.

The email Date: 17.2.2008

Sdr Lim Guan Eng; Chairman of DAP National Committee on Candidate Selection; DAP Malaysia; 24 Jalan 20/9; 46300 PetalingJaya; Selangor Sdr Lim, Firstly, I would like to thank the Party leadership for giving me the honour to contest the Batu Gajah Parliamentary seat in the 1999 and 2004 General Elections. I write to inform the Committee of my decision not to contest in any seat in the nation’s 12th General Election. My decision is final. It is a tough decision for me as DAP has become my second family and the people of Batu Gajah parliamentary constituency have been so special to me over the last 8 years. Suffice for me to say that due to the development of internal party events in the DAP Perak over the last few years as well as currently, which perhaps you are fully aware, it has become impossible for me to continue serving effectively, efficiently and wholeheartedly as a Party leader as well as an elected representative of the people. Under such circumstances and in the best interest of all concerned, I have arrived at this unavoidable and difficult decision. I do sincerely hope that the Batu Gajah Parliamentary seat could still be retained by the DAP in this coming election. I strongly believe that a wise choice of a suitable candidate should be nominated to ensure the Party’s electoral victory in the coming election as well as to provide the best service to the people after the victory. In the interest of the Party and the people of Batu Gajah parliamentary constituency, I strongly recommend that Sdr Thomas Su Keong Siong to be the ideal candidate for this seat, due to his dedication, being action oriented and sincerity in serving the Party’s cause and the aspirations of the people. Since 1999, we have been working as a team as he has been assisting me in providing services and sometimes, furnishing free legal work to the voters of the said constituency. Indeed he always walks the extra mile by going down to the ground for the people. Furthermore, he gets on very well with all those people around him especially the local members. I believe the Party will agree with me that he has carried out his responsibilities well, both to the Party and the voters of Pasir Pinji. If the Party decides to field Sdr Thomas as a candidate of Batu Gajah Parliamentary seat, I will personally assist him in the election campaign. Again, I hope the Party will seriously consider Sdr Thomas for the said seat for the interest of the constituents and the Party. Finally, please allow me to thank the Party leaders, members and staffs for all their guidance, support and assistance provided to me, inside and outside of Parliament all these years. Yours sincerely; Fong Po Kuan

* I wish to take this opportunity to publicly thank the people for Batu Gajah for their support and confidence in me. I feel honored and proud that I have been able to be their elected representative for the last 8 years. I have always tried to give my best in terms of attending to their service needs as well as articulating their voices inside and outside Parliament. However, I apologise if there are areas or instances where I have disappointed them. Finally, I wish to call on Malaysian voters to deny the Barisan Nasional its two-thirds majority so as to bring about a better Malaysia. Vote DAP!

Thank you.
(Taken from Politics 101)


From her blog :

I am Sorry

Dear friends, I am sorry.

I am unable to answer all your calls, reply your messages, emails and comments. I do appreciate your views, criticisms, supports and encouragement. It was a tough decision. I am unable to reconsider my decision of not to contest in this coming 12th General Election. I am sorry if I have disappointed you. I do hope you all will try to understand.

Let us now move ahead and play our respective roles to bring a better Malaysia for all Malaysians and show the people’s power to Barisan Nasional.

Received this e mail from Susan Loone:

Dear friends;
Just to let you know there's a petition online for those who support women bloggers like Fong Po Kuan, Elizabeth Wong, Christine Liew and Gan Pei Nai. It was put up by a group of concerned citizens. It is addressed to DAP's Lim Guan Eng. You may like to put it up on your blogs. Nor force at all. But we do need these women in Parliament :=)

Here's the link: http://www.petitiononline.com/pokuan/petition.html

Thanks.

--
Best regards,

Susan Loone
FORUM-ASIA, Bangkok
Consultant - Asian Human Rights Defender Publication
Email: susanloone@gmail.com
Blog: www.sloone.wordpress.com

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home