09 March, 2007

The world’s most infamous kebaya dress?


Due to not wearing this dress at the 79th Academy Awards red carpet event — Live from the Red Carpet, televised on Star Movies, with 30 million viewers across Asia, where she should’ve been a co-host last Monday night — it could break Linda Onn’s career.

She had planned to wear a black and white modern kebaya labuh — decked with Swarovski crystals, lace and fine embroidery — created by Indonesian designer Jovian Mandagie but “one hour before going to the Kodak Theatre for rehearsals”, was asked to wear another baju kebaya, a champagne-coloured outfit, created by Malaysian designer Radzuan Radziwill.

She refused, and on Oscar night, only Dominic Lau, sporting a Armani tuxedo was spotted.

She’s not the first ever Malaysian to given such a task: Maya Karin co-hosted with Terrance Yin of Hong Kong last year.

Unanswered questions:

Why was Linda asked to change her dress?

Speculation recorded by whatalulu: …it was the high handedness of some VIP’s daughter, probably throwing a tantrum, and insisting that RR’s baju be used, playing the kononnya patriotic card. And she must be some very powerful daughter, so much that the fear of her and her daddy [or could be mummy] is so ingrained in Astro and StarWorld, that they flew someone over to handcarry the dress. Jovian Mandagie’s mom is Indonesian, but his dad is apparently Kelantanese.

MrManager says: Jovian is based in Malaysia and whose label is a Malaysian company. According to unconfirmed sources, someone important ‘advised’ the station that Linda Onn must wear an outfit designed by a Malaysian designer at the glittering event, or else… Nobody made a fuss when Maya Karin wore an off-the-rack BCBG (a foreign label) at the Oscars last year .







Timeline


5th March:

Linda Onn: (also issued a 12-page press statement)

* It’s my body and it’s my say as to what I wear.
* I feel very sad as this whole issue is over a dress.
* The corset did not fit her properly, was revealing and an unflattering “skin colour.”
* Organisers should have brought 3-4 designs for her to choose from.
* Am willing to face the consequences of career being jeopardised
* It’s unfair that I was forced to do something I didn’t want to.
* I am glad that I stood up for myself,” she said.

4th March

Linda Onn (writing in her column, Rentak Linda in Kosmo! Ahad):

* I was a victim of circumstance.
* I was not being fussy or acting like a diva.
* As soon as I arrived in LA, I was told by Star Movies and Astro that they had been given instructions to tell me that she could not wear Jovian’s design - I have to opt for something designed by a Malaysian.
* The dress was beautiful, but it was not comfortable as the corset was not compatible to the outer bodice.
* I had not gone though a fitting process for the dress
* There would not have been enough time to do alterations.
* I asked to be exempted from wearing Radzuan’s dress, as the discomfort would have affected my self-confidence during the show, but I was told that if I chose not to wear it, I would not be on air. I was shocked but held on to my principles: a task given must be done willingly and not by force or threat.

3rd March

Radzuan Radziwill:

* I got the orders for the design from Nini Yusof (Star TV associate VP) and no others.
* I tried my best to make the kebaya glamorous without crossing the line.

Nini Yusof:

* Yes, I did order the dress to be designed especially for Linda to be worn on the red carpet.
* Nobody influenced Radzuan in designing the dress as I had briefed Radzuan on the specifications.
* it’s “unfair” for Radzuan to be “misquoted”
* a tailor and stylist were on hand for a dress fitting, but Linda had made up her mind not to the wear it.
* as far as we are concerned, we are satisfied with Radzuan’s work and the kebaya is presentable for national television.
* action will be taken against Linda? No comment.

1st March

Jovian Mandagie, 21: Linda and I designed the kebaya and it took us almost 2 weeks to complete.

28th February:

Radzuan Radziwill:

* I do not feel disappointed because Linda refused to wear my creation
* I received a call from Astro around 11.30pm on Thursday asking me to create the dress. Straight away I went to work because they wanted it completed before 3pm the next day.

27th February:

HARIAN Metro frontpaged report on Linda Onn’s absence from the red carpet at the 79th Academy Awards on Monday morning despite recent media hype that she would be reporting about the prestigious event.

Dominic Lau: she missed a golden opportunity.

26th February

Morning: the awards can be seen live in Malaysia

23rd February

Maya Karin:

* you have to project yourself to be different from the others
* Linda will come face to face with Hollywood celebrities’ eccentricities
* every celebrity that goes thru that red carpet will be the focus of more than 80 cameras and journalists who want to interview them. Therefore a host has to be quick and intelligent enough to ask questions that are not only short but will give answers that are informative.

20th February

Linda Onn:

* I am lucky to have been picked by Star Movies to be with co-host Dominic Lau (VJ Dom) of Channel V, and that it would with my career advancement.
* I can hardly wait to interview the likes of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
* I feel nervous, scared and excited.
* Thank you to Star Movies for giving this trust!

Nini Yusof:

* Linda was selected based on her talent, ability and past achievements.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home