15 March, 2010

Home Minister confirmed that Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Musa Hassan will be replaced .

Home Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein has confirmed that Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tan Sri Musa Hassan and several other police top brass will be replaced but did not specify when it would take place.

Hishammuddin said that a transition process was already in place, with details to be decided by the government.

“I already know who is going to replace the IGP. I already know who is going to replace the Director of the Commercial Crime Division. I already know those who will take over, so there is no need for us to speculate and report news without basis,” said Hishammuddin.

Interest over Musa's tenure stems from the many controversies surrounding Musa. He is the pet peeve of opposition parties who accuse him of consorting with Barisan Nasional to harass dissidents.

He has also been implicated of allegedly fabricating evidence along with Attorney-General Abdul Gani Pail in the infamous Anwar Ibrahim 'black-eye' incident.

More recently, he was accused of having a hand in the apparent power struggle within the police force which eventually led to the suspension of then Commercial Crimes Investigation Department director Ramli Yusoff.

Meanwhile, Hishammuddin also confirmed that the ministry has called in representatives from China Press today for clarification on their report last week which alleged that Musa had resigned as IGP.

Last Saturday’s China Press report had claimed Musa would retire on Police Day on March 25 and that he would be succeeded by his deputy, Tan Sri Ismail Omar.

Hishammuddin’s ministry subsequently issued a show cause letter to the newspaper under Section 8A of the Printing Presses and Publications Act 1984 (Act 301). Under the law, action can be taken against those responsible for publishing false news including the printer, publisher, editor and the writer.

Today, the Home Minister said that representatives from China Press had been called by the ministry to provide an explanation.He said that while the ministry will listen to their explanations, if found to be unsatisfactory, action will be taken against the newspaper.

On the controversy over the use of the term 'Allah' by the Catholic newsletter the Herald, Hishammuddin said negotiations with various stakeholders are currently underway to resolve the matter out of court.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home