11 August, 2009

Malaysia: Influenza A(H1N1): 6 more die, death toll 32

The number of casualties due to influenza A(H1N1) has reached 38 with six more deaths reported. The number of cases also climbed to 2,253 after 270 new cases emerged, Health Ministry Director General Tan Sri Dr Mohd Ismail Merican said.

"Out of the six deaths confirmed today, one happened yesterday while the other five happened earlier and confirmed to be H1N1-infected on Aug 7 and 8, but the cases were formally reported yesterday as H1N1-related deaths.

"Two of the victims died on Aug 5 and three on Aug 8. Four of the six were high-risk cases as they had chronic diseases or due to other factors like old age," said Dr Mohd Ismail.

At the moment, 67 people are being treated in hospitals for the contagious flu and 15 more in the intensive-care units, with three of them having chronic diseases, one is obese, one is in post-delivery and another is a baby.

Worldwide, the H1N1 virus has so far killed 1,688 people out of 208,155 reported cases in 174 countries.

Meanwhile,Misbun Sidek, coach of the Malaysian team participating in the World Badminton Championships in Hyderabad, has displayed symptoms of swine flu and his samples have been sent for testing for influenza A (H1N1) virus, organisers of the event said on Tuesday.

"Sidek complained of throat pain on Monday evening. His samples have been sent for testing. We don't want to take any chance. We are taking all precautions," Pullela Gopichand, director of the organising committee and Indian team coach, told IANS.

Some policemen at the venue of the championship were seen wearing masks on Monday night.

More than 250 players from 42 countries are competing in the six-day event that began on Monday. The championship is the first of the series of world-class sporting event that India would be hosting ahead of the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home