02 April, 2008

I am here. I am here. I am here

I am here, I am here, I am here.

That's remind me of "VENI VIDI VICI" I came, I saw, I conquered. ...

Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi denied speculations that he would step down as prime minister.

Abdullah reiterated his stand that he would not run away from his responsibility as the prime minister.

"I am here. I am here. I am here. They make all the speculations that I want to run away, I've resigned. Why should I resign.

"My Government has got a strong majority (although) not the two-thirds (majority), but very strong... that is the stand of support. Why I must run away from my entrusted responsibility," he told Bernama

While Umno information chief Muhammad Muhd Taib lashed out at former premier Dr Mahathir Mohamad for launching scathing attacks on his successor Abdullah Ahmad Badawi,Higher Education Minister Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin today dispelled the notion that Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi is surrounded by `yes men' who are afraid to speak their mind.

On the contrary, he said, they were bolder in voicing their opinions under the Abdullah administration as his leadership was more open.

"One thing that is different under Pak Lah (Abdullah), he doesn't dictate. We are free to say anything," he told reporters here Wednesday.

While watching the seminar by Mahathir and listening to the audience and the replies, I could not help but thinking what is going on in this society, especially those Malays who attended Mahathir’s seminar? They sound pathetic and paranoid. It is as if they will not be a living race if there is no protection from the government. Ironically, they are Muslims who has so little faith of their God and has the mindset that only their government would be able to protect them.

The fear that without protection from government, Malay will loose their rights and share in the social economic development in Malaysia or anywhere in this world is a myth that Mahathir and his UMNO clan wish to believe.

The country has been independent for more than 50 years and the New Economic Policy (perhaps need to be renamed as Old Economic Policy) has been implemented over more than 30 year. How do the Malays measure themselves in terms of their socio-economic development? Have they carried out post-mortem on themselves to review what went wrong if they are still not successful? Is the Policy itself faulty or has the society been taking this protection by the government for granted?....more here.


One of the most glaring failures of the Malaysian nation-building project is our failure to develop a national language that is actually used as the lingua franca of all Malaysians. While the laborious debate over whether BM should be termed ‘Bahasa Malaysia’ or ‘Bahasa Melayu’ has been raging for decades, it is clear that Malaysia’s plural society remains divided along linguistic-cultural lines. The thorny issue of what constitutes the ‘mother tongue’ of so many Malaysians has led to at least one major political conflagration among the component parties of the BN, which in turn was used as the justification for the nation-wide security crackdown called ‘Operasi Lalang’ in 1987. Ironically it is well known to all and sundry that despite the ethno-linguistic posturing of the hot-headed communitarian leaders of the BN over the issue in the 1980s, these very same elites continued to speak to each other in English in private.....read "Linguistic Supremacy and Hegemony: The Roads Not Taken post-1969"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home